Monday, December 22, 2008

In addition to my previous post...

So here's another thing... (got this idea from my friend Abbie's page, but hers is nice and more about Christmas, mine is me ranting obviously)

Everyones broke right? I mean really, most people are hurting from the economy, I won't get into their normal overspending since we already covered that in the previous chapter. :)

So how did it become the "normal" for all the spoiled rotten kids in America today to expect new XBOX 360's and new Nintendo Wii's and cell phones, and ipods for Christmas?? I'm sorry, your child is already bratty enough now you're going to go purchase a $300-$400 gaming system?? Really? What did you get for Christmas when you were that age? Cause I'm pretty sure it wasn't something that expensive. And if you did, well then that probably explains alot.

I just don't get it, so you're really broke, already spend on stuff you shouldn't and then go spoil your children rotten for Christmas. All because most parents are too afraid that their children will be mad or sad because they didn't get what they wanted for Christmas. Thats really annoying. And sad too, I'm sorry but when did children start running the household?? What do they contribute. I'm not saying kids aren't great. But I'm saying most of us work to provide, most children now days don't even have chores to do. And if they do, they don't usually do them.


What happened to chores and having responsibilities as a child. When I was in middle/high school we didn't get to do anything until we had helped with yard work or mowed the lawn during summer. It wasn't just like ohhh hey my dear sweet child, I work full time, buy you whatever you want and I'd love to do everything else too, including cooking and cleaning and yard work too. You're right you should get to go hang out with your friends every second of everyday. Because your 6.5 hours of school everyday must really really stress you out. So you go ahead, I've got this. You deserve to have whatever you want, because you've worked just so hard in your life, and I deserve to stay here. And you wonder why I don't want kids!!!! Come on now! Its like one disaster to another. Just because most parents can't say no.

I'm not saying all parents are like this. And god knows, I LOVVVEE the ones who aren't. But I'm just so sick of kids running their parents life. When do the parents get to enjoy their lives? I know what most people reading this are thinking...she doesn't have kids, she doesn't know what she's talking about, and she has no room to talk. Well this is my blog so I can say whatever I want. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're right, don't have kids, and this is mainly the reason I don't want them. I would never NEVER want to turn into most parents who just work to give their kids un needed toys and things to make them so happy. When do most kids try to make their parents happy?? Is it when they want something...hmm imagine that.

So my final thought is, really why does everyone feel it soooo necessary to spoil their kids rotten?? Are you really that afraid that your child will be mad at you if you don't. Cause I've got news, more than likely they're going to not like you for something else. If you always give them every single thing, how on EARTH do you expect them to make it in the real world?? When they're living with you at 30, just re-read this and maybe you'll think differently about that gaming system, or ipod or cell phone or TV or computer. Whatever it may be. Or maybe not, maybe you're child or children will be the one child in the entire world who is thankful for what they have, and not feel a sense of entitlement. But don't worry, I'm not holding my breath.

Man I love blogging, this is fun!!!! In all seriousness, I've met a few families this year who are doing only homemade gifts and this includes gifts for the kids. And families who only do donations to charities in their friends or family members names. What an amazing concept. Helping others!!! Isn't Christmas suppose to be about giving to less fortunate and seeing their happiness when you put food on their plate, or gave them fresh drinking water, or helped save a life by donating to a charity. Not about how far into debt you can go? Want to know what my favorite gift was last year, homemade hot chocolate and homemade marshmallows, both homemade...by my dear mommy. They were delicious, and I know she put her heart into it. Those are the things you remember...Not the video games, and not the cell phones or cameras, or tv's or computers, and the list goes on and on and on. There's my food for thought for the day....

9 comments:

Cami said...

Yeah! I can now comment! You make me laugh SOOO much!! I love how you say how it is. I have some of the same thoughts. I think we were raised very similar. I don't know what it's like to have kids who actually "ask" for certain things for Christmas, but I can only hope they aren't raised to be spoiled brats. I have certain in-laws that give their kids the world for Christmas and Easter. Drives me crazy because they come parading to grandmas house with all their stuff "Santa" brought them and soon enough my kids are going to wonder why Santa doesn't give them as much. Seriously, the Easter Bunny brings them BIKES and POWER WHEELS. Seriously... drives me nuts.. I should blog on this as well. WOW! I'm getting mad sittin here thinking about it too.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rebekah and Arthur Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob and Heidi said...

My kids are still too young to be caught up in the serious materialistic indulgence that is going on, but absolutely see your point. I loved reading it because I could hear your voice behind the words and you make me laugh!

My husband and I talk about this all the time. We have relatives that are seriously wondering why their 20+ year old is now living at home and why they can't hold down a steady job and why they have no goals. I wish they could see how obvious it is. They have been bailing them out and giving them what they ask for for years! And they keep doing it. What's crazy is these people were brought up the same way as my husband and I so what happened????? We just don't get it.

Our daughters may hate us as teenagers, but they'll thank us when they're in College, hopefully because they going to have to earn their own money if they don't like clothes from Target (or on extreme sale at the Loft!) or want a cell phone. I need to write a blog about teenagers with cell phones. That would be my big rant.

Rob and Heidi said...

I can hear your voice behind your words! Love it!

My husband get very frustrated with certain family members that don't understand why they're 20+ year kids need to move back in with them. It's so obvious to us, they were constantly getting bailed out by their parents....and it continues. Very frustration.

Our girls will probably hate us because they'll have to learn that if they don't like clothes from Target, they're going to have to get their own job and buy what they want!

Anonymous said...

who are you, and what have you done with my sister? LOL, just kidding.

I spoil my kids, but they get almost straight A's, are pleasant to be around, are fairly polite and neither have been arrested yet - that I know of. Not too shabby for teenagers, in my opinion.

So, let's clarify between the spoiled brats and the spoiled good kids.

And - just because I like to buy nice stuff for myself and my kids doesn't make me evil. It just makes me materialistic and greedy. ;-)

Love ya -
h

Rebekah and Arthur Walker said...

To my sister Heidi...

I did say MOST kids, didn't I? :) And no I was not talking about my Abracadbra and MadmadMadeleine. They are very good kids, and I was NOT referring to them. Actually wasn't referring to that many kids related to me...just in general, how most parents are with their kids.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry - didn't think you were referring to anyone in particular. Certainly not my angels. LOL...

Just enjoy playing the devil's advocate and defending those of us that enjoy being spoiled and spoiling others.

Anjuli said...

You crack me up Rebekah! I hope that I don't become one of those parents. It'd be kinda hard since we're both college students. Bradley is going to have to be spoiled by his grandparents instead!