Sunday, April 19, 2009

The airport, traveling, and all that jazz











Okay so this will be all about our travel to Antigua and Day one...Hope you've set aside some time to read read read.... :)








So we check in at PDX for the first leg of our flight, we'll have 2 layovers, first from PDX to Phoenix, then from there to Atlanta, and then from there to Antigua...A total of 26 hours of total travel.








On the way to Portland (a lovely 3 hour drive) we are cruising along, probably about 75 mph behind a Subaru when we see some lady passing a semi truck in our lane...I think man, she is REALLY close, when all of a sudden, she's NOT moving over, did I mention there was part of a lane empty on her side. The Subaru skids off into the gravel, fine but still had to run off the road, and then we followed as she wasn't moving. While we're flying through the gravel trying not to get in a wreck, the semi kicks up a huge rock right into my windshield, and CRACK it goes....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...I'm already freaking out that we almost went into the ditch, now those jerk offs cracked my windshield too...you've GOT to be kidding me! I'm pretty upset for the next 30 mins...okay over it. Then we're almost into Portland, and I'm driving along at about 80 and out runs a coyote into the middle of the road, and stops right in front of us to think about if he wants to continue. I slam on the breaks, as there is no where to go with the barricade in the middle and a car to my right....he runs off....my heart is racing again...but alas, we are fine. Thank goodness....








We get on our first flight and we're in the row behind the first row that is behind first class. So the lady from the airport gets on and asks the guy in front of us if he'll move so a family can sit together... he says I'm 6'8, I need the extra leg room, if you can get me into an exit row, I will, otherwise not...they didn't have that and she is like begging him, I tell her we'll move up if the lady next to us will take that other seat available so the family can sit together...now I'm doing this as it SUCKS to not get to sit together, and I thought a good deed would do me some good on a day of traveling.... ohhhhhh boy was I wrong.








On get a mom and her 3 kids, so she'll be holding one on her lap and the other two in the seats behind us. The chair kicking starts immediately. Then the 1 year old on her lap starts hitting Arthur on the top of his head, I turn and look at her and she laughs (the mom...like aren't they soooo cute) uhhhh no they aren't cute. Oh we hadn't even taken off yet, and its a little over 3 hour flight...ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... So the screaming then starts followed by ALOT more kicking of the chairs. She never tells them, ohhh no honey don't do that. Don't get me wrong, I know some kids are just bratty but when you let them do whatever they want, of course they aren't going to stop. Well then about an hour into the flight, some RANDOM passenger comes and sits with them. A very very VERY obnoxious lady who tells them they are such good kids, and starts throwing the baby up in the air, who then kicks my headrest about ohhhh 50 times. And the other kids is standing in front of the lady so I'm getting kicked in two places. LOVELY! They come with the drinks and I buy some baileys...Lord I am going to need some alcohol to get through this flight. It continues and the guy is glaring at us, like why the hell did you have to change seats, I mouth I'm sorry to him about a hundred times. After about another 20 mins I can't take it ( I kept looking back and nothing, no I'm sorry, no please stop it kiddos, nothing) so I go and stand with the flight attendants in the back who agreed that we had the worst seats on the entire plane and proceeded to buy me some wine. So I stood back there with them for probably 30 mins.... until it was time to start our landing process, I groan and beg and beg and tell them I'll help them work...but they make me go back to my seat...ughhh....








The kids keep kicking and screaming and they are just encouraged by both women to do so. The guy we're sitting with is so upset he's been drinking the entire flight, and then starts elbowing the seat every time they kick his...which was about every 5 seconds. Finally we land, we're waiting to get off the plane and the people in the isle over are like ohhhh you're kids were so good on the plane, what good little travelers...I shot all of them the nastiest look I could and a couple of people started laughing when the women said that because we all KNEW it was the worst flight ever..... Wheewwww we are off of that plane.








Then we have a 4 and a half hour layover in Phoenix, we get a cab and go out and see some sights, then go back to check in only to find out of flight has been delayed and hour and a half. So now we don't depart until 1:30 am...yes am.... Did you all know I get incredibly sick with no sleep or no eating at normal times....so imagine my excitement...We finally get on the plane and make it to Atlanta, which is my LEAST favorite airport of any, you'll hear much more about that in about 10 blogs when I finish up the entire week. Then its off to Antigua, before we board we notice we're not sitting together. We hear someone else ask the ticketing agent about it for them, and she says she can't fix it until about 20 mins prior to the flight. About ten mins later I ask Arthur to go stand up there to get our seats together, so he waits for the agent to get back and she gives us seats together. The next people go up ( totally different people that earlier) and she says sorry, no more seats together...hehehehe, we got the first and only ones. We board and find that all the people behind us are on their way to Sandals as well, we chit chat for a while, and meet Chad and Jamie, and Ken and Susan. (I'll be referring to them in upcoming posts, so don't forget...) we finally land, and its hotter than hell out there. Ahhhh the Caribbean. We stand in line for an hour to get through customs and finally get on the shuttle to the resort...Sandals here we come!!!!

0 comments: